8.13.2009

Pygg Irony



In conjunction with the Piggy bank post and the Pig Speakers from the other day.

I stumbled across this porcelain egg bank ("The Nest Egg" Ha!) and found it charming. Conceptually it works much better than a piggy bank.

Link

Pondering the ponderable I started to wonder "Why is it a PIGGY bank" So I sallied forth over to the Wikipedia and I found this.

"In Middle English, "pygg" referred to a type of clay used for making various household objects such as jars. People often saved money in kitchen pots and jars made of pygg, called "pygg jars". By the 18th century, the spelling of "pygg" had changed and the term "pygg jar" had evolved to "pig bank." [3]"

News to me, and I thought everyone would appreciate it too.
I have never heard the term "Pygg" for a kind of clay. Fascinating.

I also came across this Pig Lamp. Exceptional.


link

Except for one thing.

I hate compact florescent light.

The environmentalists out there can sit on their hands in the comments section. There is nothing you can do to convince me. The reason being. I am exceptionally sensitive to lighting conditions and light sources. I find CFL's to be the worst light possible, I loathe them. Not to mention the Mercury problem that people conveniently look over.

Anyhoo. I'm as happy as a pig in shit with my incandescent bulbs.

No comments: