7.29.2009

Urning your Keep

Here lies the Personal Urn.
Where you rest after being burn(ed).
If I should die, before I wake.
I pray to God, my dignity, do not take.


I really don't know what to say about this. When I first came across this last night, I spent 20 minutes trying to find where in the documentation was a note that this is from the Onion. Best I can tell, it is really real.

"New advances in facial reconstruction and 3D printing have made it possible to have an urn made in the image of anyone from just a photograph.

Never forget a face. Personal Urns combine art and technology to create a family heirloom that will be cherished for generations."

Now yes, this is not clay. At least I assume it is not. There is nothing in the documentation about material. But it is a vessel and it is an object that is traditionally ceramic. So I am going with it anyway.

For $2600, you can have your own version of this family "Heirloom"

*Update-I'm leaning toward fake again, as while looking through the company's website it says.

"Personal urns custom made in your likeness or your favorite celebraty"

That kind of misspelling is Par for the course here at Slipcast blog, but I can't believe that a real business would let that slip.

Anyhoo, here is the link for the company

*Update 2* someone at Consumerist realized that these are from Thatsmyface.com, marked up 300%

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately my wife, an editor, finds mispellings like that on all kinds of official websites wherest they shouldn't be.

lindsey said...

fake or not, orthographically challenged or not....laughing my you know what off over this post!

:)

Matthew Katz said...

Theaestheticelevator
Well, I just saw my own misspelling on the tile of the post.
Of course I always declare my poor spelling and editing whenever I get my chance.
Welcome to the blog, glad to have you.

Linda Starr said...

Yuck, I wouldn't want a loved one done up like that, much too real for me, photos are enough.