10.20.2009

Mishima!

I usually don't like to post procedurals on the blog. I wanted to bake an exception for this one from the new Pottery Making Illustrated by my friend Molly Hatch. Molly is a very smart and exceptionally talented potter and a great writer to boot. You will find her published regularly in many ceramics magazines.


2-D to 3-D: Using Image Transfer and Mishima Techniques to Make Drawings on Pottery

by Molly Hatch


Mishima is a traditional Korean slip-inlay technique. The Korean pots you see with mishima decoration typically use several colors of slip in the same piece. I basically use the same black slip recipe for all of my mishima drawing. I always reference a pattern when I am drawing on my pots and sometimes I use a template to transfer a detail of the pattern.


In this case, I am using the template to transfer the bird in the pattern onto the cup surface. I make my templates by laminating my own drawing of a found pattern. This is helpful if you are trying to make multiples, but still requires a lot of drawing and interpretation because you are drawing on a three-dimensional surface.





A laminated paper template of your drawing can help maintain consistency in a design when transferring images to a set. All of my mishima is done when the pots are a dry-leather hard. Usually they are ready to draw on just after trimming is finished.





Gently wrap the laminated pattern around the cup and use a quill or dull-tipped pencil to trace the image, taking care to position the image exactly where you would like it to be on the cup.


To read the rest, pick up the November issue of Pottery Making Illustrated or check out Molly's Blog...
I know, I'm a tease....


Molly's Blog 

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

This technique lends itself to so many intrepretations, I love experimenting with it, thanks.

Linda Starr said...

Oh, I just saw Molly is on plate a day too.

Matthew Katz said...

That's because she's a Rock Star!