3.05.2009

Mustache Protection League






Miss Rose and I were out antiquing over the weekend and we made a discovery. I had to take these pictures covertly, so the antique store cats didn't attack me for taking illicit photos of pottery.
Now this may be old news for most of you, but I have to admit that in my 15 years in Ceramics, I have never seen these things. In one antique store we saw 4 different ones (not even in the same booth).
As a mustachioed gentleman myself I applaud the makers of these cups for their consideration of my cookie duster.
I was in a critique the other day and we were talking about notions of Victorianism. Now, I am in no way one of those folks who say that "things were better back them". I love my iPhone, and indoor plumbing thank you very much. But the over consideration that took place in the Victorian era was kind of wonderful.
I obsess over function in pots and this is truly functional. Yet there is no way in hell that I would ever use this cup. Yet, It is so charming and un-earnest. I find the adoption of earnestness to be a rising issue in pottery. I'm not really interested in the earnest pot. I am not interested in modern primitives. The whole point of progress is to move forward. The looking back is has value to see where we came from. I can't believe that it has value in recreating as a way to move forward. That is what Colonial Willamsburg is for.

No comments: